Celebrate the Harvest
EcoSociety invites you to the fifth Annual Fall Fair at Cottonwood Market on September 29th 2012! The Fall Fair is a traditional harvest celebration, complete with live music, prizes for best produce, preserves, and pies, and all the fresh produce, delicious food, and amazing crafts that Cottonwood Market is known for.
Fall Fair Guidelines
- There is no entry fee
- There is no limit to the number of categories an individual can enter
- All entries must be dropped off at the Cottonwood Market between 9:30 and 10:30 am on Saturday September 29th. Judging starts at 11:00 am
- Prizes and plates can be picked up at noon
- Prizes are $20 in market bucks for first place, $10 for second place. Three honourable mentions will receive $10 market bucks
- We expect the use of your own homegrown food in this contest. Grain needs to be from 100 mile radius and wild berries can be used. For baking and preserving you may have to buy some ingredients.
- With each entry complete a registration form with your name, phone number and a brief description of your gardening techniques used to grow your produce, also list all ingredients for the baking and preserving categories and describe techniques used such as fermented, raw or pickled and indicate any ingredient you had to buy.
- If you are under 15 please include your age.
- Please wash the fruit and vegetables for the tasters.
Mixed Vegetable basket
Put together your best looking and tasting vegetables. Judging criteria: best looking arrangement.
Three eggs on a plate. Judging criteria: most beautiful (shape, colour, lustre).
The biggest pumpkin wins!
Home Baking and Preserves Categories
One whole pie made with local grown or picked fruit and local grain. Judging criteria: best flavor and wholeness of grain.
One loaf. Judging criteria; best flavour and texture. Must include local grains!
One jar of savory preserve (salsa, chutney etc), canned within the last 12 months. Judging criteria: best flavour.
One jar of sweet preserve (jam, jelly etc), canned within the last 12 months. Judging criteria: best flavour.
Wine or fruit or vegetable juice
One bottle. Judging criteria; best flavour and color.
One bouquet of locally-grown flowers in a vase or other container. Judging criteria: best appearance.
Thanks to the Nelson District Credit Union for supporting the Fall Fair!